KERO-TV went on the air on September 26, 1953, on channel 10 as an NBC affiliate. During the late 1950s, the station was also briefly affiliated with the NTA Film Network. KERO-TV was first owned by a local interest, Kern County Broadcasters, along with KERO radio (1230 AM, now KGEO). The TV station, along with KERO radio, originally broadcast from the lobby of the El Tejon Hotel, which was located at the corner of Truxtun Avenue and Chester Avenue. KERO-TV later moved to its current studios at 321 21st Street.